Towards net-zero carbon facades – the impact of bio based materials for the system design of high performing envelopes
ORGANISATION/COMPANYPolitecnico di Milano
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINEinformation coming soon
LOCATIONItaly › Milano
TYPE OF CONTRACTResearch fellowship
HOURS PER WEEKFull-time
EU PROGRAMMEHE/ MSCA
REFERENCE NUMBERinformation coming soon
Interested? You can apply by sending all required documents to: email@example.com
This position fits in the framework of the ACTAREBUILD EU – DN – project, which provides research and training in retrofit of office building stock in Europe by means a new generation of sustainable materials and building components.
The topic of this PhD focuses on net-zero carbon Facades and the impact of bio based materials for the system design of high performing envelopes for retrofit. The project will be carried out with the joint supervision of Politecnico di Milano (Italy) and KU Leuven (Belgium) and STU Bratislava (Slovakia), in collaboration with Schüco.
The overall goal of this research is to develop an approach and subsequently recommendations for the reduction of the embodied carbon footprint of Curtain Façade (CF) systems for offices by integrating biotic and bio-based materials that respect the principles of circular economy. The recommendations will relate carbon savings with technical performance criteria and implications on design, procurement, and maintenance along life cycle of façade (30 years) and will give valuable insights on the impact of bio-based materials, compared to the current ones, to achieve industry targets for net Zero Carbon.
Objectives and goals
The project is based on the following key objectives:
- Analysing contribution and impact of components and materials of current retrofit façade systems on embodied carbon footprint
- Collating a systematic overview of build-ups and materials for CF systems with relation to Framing, Finishes (Internal & external), Insulation (Acoustics and Thermal) and Sealants (gaskets and membranes).
- Collating a systematic overview of the available bio-based solutions for CF
- Technical appraisal of bio-based solutions with respect to durability, fire, acoustics and building physics in context of European Technical Standards
- Cost-Benefit analysis for substitution of components with bio-based alternatives based on current and potential future requirements
- Modelling variations and combinations of material choices for selected CF systems with reflections on building performance requirements over full life cycle
- Developing a systematic design toolkit for optimizing embodied carbon footprint of retrofit CF systems in relation to building typology, performance and cost
- Summarizing finding in clear recommendations targeted to stakeholders of façade industry
As a PhD researcher your aim is to develop design guidelines for refurbishment, renovation and retrofit of existing commercial buildings and based on multi-parameter modelling along the full life cycle of Facades taking building typology, façade systems and build-ups, performance criteria and materials characteristics into account. The comparative investigations will be based on current mechanical, thermal, and acoustic performance criteria, environmental impacts (CO2 emissions and full industrial impact), and future scenarios. The expected results are the following:
- Insights in critical factors and drivers for embodied carbon of CF Systems for retrofit
- Catalogue of requirements and bio-based materials and components with multi-criteria assessment
- Principles for the performance quantification of CF systems by using building simulation tools in current practice
- Typology of hybrid systems (aluminium, glass, bio-based materials) for curtain walling
- Systematic Approach for assessing the value of substituting components with bio-based alternatives
- Stakeholder-specific recommendations for materials, build-ups and systems to optimize total carbon footprint
- A remuneration package in line with Marie Sklodowska Curie ITN regulations, which is competitive with industry standards in Italy, a country with a good quality of life and excellent health care system.
- The researcher allowances granted by Europe will cover all (employer’s and employee’s) taxes and contributions; the exact (net) salary will be confirmed upon appointment.
- An opportunity to pursue a PhD in Architectural Technology, in a stimulating and ambitious research environment, with 3 years of funding within the research project.
- An opportunity to work within a challenging European research project with leading industry players across Europe.
- A stay in a vibrant environment in the hearth of Italy and south of Europe. The university is located in Milan, 30 minutes by train from Milan International Airport. This strategic positioning and the strong presence of the university, international research centers, and design industry, lead to a city with high quality of life, welcome to English speaking people and with ample opportunities for social and sport activities. The mixture of cultures and research fields are some of the ingredients making the Politecnico of Milan the most innovative university in Europe. Further information can be found on the website of the university: www.polimi.it.
- This PhD will be performed in collaboration with KU Leuven (Belgium) and STU Bratislava (Slovakia) and the candidate will be awarded by joint PhD degree between Politecnico Milano and KU Leuven.
If you recognize yourself in the story below, then you have the profile that fits the project and the research group.
- I have a master degree in architecture, or civil engineering, or building physics or circular economy, or environmental assessment, or sustainable design.
- I do not yet have a PhD.
- I am adept at learning new concepts, skills and tasks and have a problem-solving approach to complex challenges.
- I am proficient in written and spoken English, and write and communicate clearly in an interdisciplinary environment.
- During my learning carrier or prior professional activities, I have gathered advanced knowledge in building envelope design, physics, building materials, thermal physics.
- During my courses or prior professional activities, I have gathered experience with modelling / simulations, specifically with parametric design, LCA tools, Energy plus, and with Building physics analysis tool (daylighting, acoustic, thermal physics), additionally with WUFI or DELPHIN; with 3D CAD systems (with plug in appreciated) and /or BIM; and I have acquired principles of structural understanding and facade design and I have a profound interest in these topics.
- As PhD researcher of the Polimi and KU Leuven I am willing to research in a structured and scientifically sound manner. I read technical papers, understand the nuances between different theories and implement and improve methodologies myself.
- I work goal-oriented and have a getting-things-done attitude, always with scientific rigor.
- In frequent reporting, varying between weekly to monthly, I show the results that I have obtained and I give a well-founded interpretation of those results. I iterate on my work and my approach based on the feedback of my supervisors, which steer the direction of my research.
- I feel comfortable to work as a team member and I am eager to share my results to inspire and being inspired by my colleagues.
- I feel self-active to manage meeting or coordinating round tables with universities and partners, I feel also creative and open-mind to set up new advanced solutions to the wide range of new building facade solutions.
- During my PhD I want to grow towards following up the project that I am involved in and representing the research group on project meetings or conferences. I see these events as an occasion to disseminate my work to an audience of international experts and research colleagues, and to learn about the larger context of my research and the research project.
- During the past 3 years I have not resided, studied or worked in Italy for more than 12 months
For more information please contact Assoc. Prof. Carol Monticelli at firstname.lastname@example.org by email and mention ActaReBuild – DC7 in the title.
You can apply for this job no later than 10/10/2022 by sending email to email@example.com with all required documents.
For your effective application, please supply:
- Copy of Master’s diploma
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter
- 2 Recommendation letters
- Certified knowledge of English is required from all candidates. In ‘Additional Info – Other Information’ is a list of the certifications accepted by the Politecnico di Milano and the corresponding levels.
- Degree certificate and transcript of records of an applicable higher university degree. Official translations in English are required in addition to the documents in the original language. Applications open to students holding an university degree obtained under the educational system in force prior to M.D. n. 509 dated 03/11/1999, or a Laurea Specialistica (equivalent to a Master) obtained in accordance with M.D. n. 509 dated 03/11/1999, or a Laurea Magistrale (equivalent to a Master) obtained in accordance with M.D. n. 270 dated 22/10/2004, or similar academic qualifications obtained abroad that are equivalent in terms of duration and contents to the Italian qualifications and qualified as fit by the Selection Committee.
Only applicants who meet the following requirements can apply for the call:
- Obtained a Laurea Magistrale (Master Degree) in Italy (or equivalent qualifications that are valid for admission to PhD programms) with a final score no lower than 95/110 or 86/100;
- For qualifications obtained abroad, have the minimum average score in exams:
European Countries (ECTS grading system): C+
For the Countries not in this list, the evaluation will be carried out directly by the Selection Committee.