Interaction and parameterization of thermal, energy and comfort variables in façade walls based on applicable International and European regulations
ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversidad de Valladolid
Engineering › Materials engineering
Engineering › Other
Engineering › Simulation engineering
Engineering › Sound engineering
Engineering › Thermal engineering
Physics › Acoustics
Technology › Construction technology
Technology › Energy technology
Technology › Environmental technology
Technology › Materials technology
Technology › Remote sensing
Technology › Sound technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/09/2022 14:00 – Europe/Brussels
WEBSITE POSTAL CODE
PHONE+34 983 42 30 00
LOCATIONSpain › Valladolid
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
EU PROGRAMMEHE / MSCA
(joint supervision by University of Valladolid and Politecnico Milano in collaboration with Vector foiltec)
This PhD focuses on studying the impact of introducing innovative circular materials and components in new façade systems which can be used to retrofit existing buildings, in accordance with the framework of the ACTAREBUILD EU – DN – project.
Traditional materials and building systems often result in unnecessary energy waste and poor comfort and acoustic conditions among other issues. Improved circular materials and components can be excellent alternatives: besides the inherent sustainability characteristic due to its availability and easy recycling, they can improve other characteristics such energy, thermal, acoustic, comfort or even safety performance.
The PhD will look for enhanced thermal, energy, comfort, acoustic and safety performance, with emphasis in energy performance. Additionally, it will also consider the potential impact concerning the aesthetic modification of a refurbished building. Lastly, based on its own results and on existing literature, it will also study the possibility/need to extend and adapt existing building standards so as to include such innovative façade systems.
The energy conservation in buildings should be evaluated by the thermal transfer from both sides of the building envelope. Many existing indicators analyze this transfer by contact mechanisms, but one of the most relevant energy transfer mechanism is based on studying the convection of air through the building envelope, which is known as infiltration and is directly related to the leakage of the conditioning inner space. This is one of the measurement methods which will be used to evaluate energy performance. Other measurement methods will be developed during the study.
- A remuneration package in line with Marie Sklodowska Curie Doctoral Network regulations, which is competitive with industry standards in Belgium, a country with a high quality of life and excellent health care system.
- The researcher allowances granted by Europe will cover all (employer’s and employee’s) taxes and contributions; the exact (net) salary will be confirmed upon appointment.
- An opportunity to pursue a PhD in Architecture or Building Engineering, in a stimulating and ambitious research environment, with 3 years of funding within the research project.
- An opportunity to work within a challenging European research project with leading industry players across Europe.
- A stay in a vibrant environment in Europe. The university is located in Valladolid, a city of approximately 400000 inhabitants, located close to Madrid (250km), and 1 hour and 20 minutes by train from Madrid International Airport. This strategic positioning and the strong presence of the university, international research centers, and industry, lead to a safe town with high quality of life, a welcome to non-Spanish speaking people, and ample opportunities for social and sports activities. The mixture of cultures and research fields are some of the ingredients making the university of Valladolid one of the oldest university in Europe Further information can be found on the website the university: https://universityofvalladolid.uva.es/
- This PhD will be performed in collaboration with Politecnico Milano (Italy) and industrial partner Vector Foiltec in Bremen (Germany). The candidate will be awarded by joint PhD degree between University of Valladolid and Politecnico Milano.
If you recognize yourself in the story below, then you have the profile that fits the project and the research group.
- I have a master degree in Architecture, Building Engineering, Civil Engineering (Building sciences), Materials Science and Engineeering or Applied Sciences.
- I am proficient in written and spoken English.
- My developed skills are based on Software Simulation such as: CONTAM, MATLAB, LABVIEW, FLUENT, etc
- During my courses or prior professional activities, I have gathered experience with building energy performance and acoustic testing, control and data-acquisition and I have a profound interest in these topics.
- I work goal-oriented and have a getting-things-done attitude, always with scientific rigor.
- In frequent reporting, varying between weekly to monthly, I show the results that I have obtained and I give a well-founded interpretation of those results. I iterate on my work and my approach based on the feedback of my supervisors which steer the direction of my research.
- I feel comfortable working as a team member and I am eager to share my results to inspire my colleagues and be inspired by them.
- I value being part of a large research group which is well connected to the machine and transportation industry and I am eager to learn how academic research can be linked to industrial innovation roadmaps.
- During my PhD I want to grow towards following up the project that I am involved in and representing the research group on project meetings or conferences. I see these events as an occasion to disseminate my work to an audience of international experts and research colleagues, and to learn about the larger context of my research and the research project.
- During the past 3 years I have not resided, studied or worked in Spain for more than 12 months
For more information please contact Dr. María de la O Machimbarrena (email@example.com) by email and mention “Q&A” in the Subject.
If interested, just submit the application form (https://forms.gle/VM8ngMqeGiTEmfX18) and text a brief email (mentioning “DCS_” and your last name in the Subject) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email must contain all the mandatory and optional documents, which are listed in the form. Detailed instructions are available in “WHERE TO APPLY” section – “APPLICATION FORM” – instructions.pdf.
You can apply for this job no later than 28/09/2022, 14:00 (GMT+1).